OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Another resource hogging flash applet thingie...click the gray background to begin loading,

photo

then navigate with arrow keys. You'll need something other than Internet Explorer.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Habits and Such...

discipline, structure, routine... these things have a power to reduce chaos in the life of man who practices them, but they rely on the cultivation of habit, which is birthed by repetition, which requires a conscious effort of will...My only ingrained habit in my starting routine is the rising at 5:00 a.m. most mornings. There are others, but let us look at this one, first.About 15 years ago I began the struggle against chronic substance abuse. It was a commonly accepted precept among those who I approached for help that, if addiction had set in, a "conscious contact" with God was indespensible, in the pursuit of abstinence from the more difficult substances, such as cocaine, opiates, alcohol, ect. It seemed to me, and I am not unique in this, that conscious contact that was not 2-way communication, was a joke, the worst kind of mental masturbation. For me, ongoing faith requires, even now, some level of relationship/reciprococity. The only problem was that HE WASN'T ANSWERING ME. not in any way that I felt sure of. For some reason, I began to believe that silence was needed to hear God's response, and the only silence you were gonna get in this culture was early in the morning. I don't know how long it took to begin arising earlier than most of the surrounding population (I damn sure havn't been doing it for fifteen years!) because I simply cannot remember. (I am actually amazed that I can string together whole paragraphs, and am never sure when i should begin a new one...oh, how i miss my brains)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh Yeah! Comments make my DAY!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The occasional visitor from REALLY far away is surprisingly satisfying.